Spring has officially sprung! This means many of us have already embarked on our spring cleaning rituals. Whether you’re deep cleaning the kitchen, clearing out the garage, or simply washing a few windows, a spring cleaning is an effective way to both freshen up your environment and declutter the mind. But why stop there? The tech you use in your daily life could also use a little cleaning love.
Tidying up your hardware and performing routine maintenance on your hard drive can boost your computer’s performance and increase its lifespan. Here are a few ideas of things you can do at home to properly clean your hardware and help clear out your digital junk this springtime:
Hardware Cleaning Tips
- Responsibly recycle/donate old and unused devices
- Inspect/clean I/O ports with a soft small brush or canned air to prevent dust and debris build up
- Carefully dust internal components of your computer
- Use cloth to wipe smudges off computer screen
- Clean/disinfect keyboard and mouse
- And of course, take broken hardware in for repair
Hard Drive Maintenance Tips
- Delete old and duplicate files
- Remove unwanted/unnecessary programs
- Install software updates
- Back up important documents, photos and videos to an external hard drive
- Use cloud storage to maintain your important files
- Run hardware maintenance scans on your SSD/hard drive to determine health
- Speed up your hard drive by defragmenting once a month
Want to learn more? Keep an eye on the ComputerCare blog for more tech tips, subscribe to our email newsletter to receive helpful device advice directly to your inbox, drop by one of our Bay Area or Seattle locations, or get in touch with us via our contact page.
We’re dedicated to providing world-class service and repair, and ComputerCare’s expert staff is always happy to help our customers take good care of their hardware.